Sunday, January 27, 2013

Summer's Over... Fire Up the Band!

Originally Posted on August 12, 2011


Well, it kinda felt like it came out of nowhere... August! I was so busy writing this summer, that even though I was aware of what day it was, it just felt like summer flew by. 

We’ve been working through our summer band and it has been going well. Each year I try to think about the sacrifice our students are making to be at summer band. It’s still their summer and yet they give a piece of it up every day so they can come to school a few weeks early. It’s truly remarkable. 

The toughest part of our summer band schedule is that everything is at night. I’m used to being home at night and being able to play with the kids. It’s just a weird flip-flop to see them in the morning for a while, then not again until the next day. (Well, Kayla has been bringing them to the band hall for dinner, so that’s saying something!)

While I like how much we get to focus on band and only band, I am ready for school to start. Mainly, I think I’m ready to settle into a routine and get to work with a new crop of beginners. Man, isn’t teaching beginners great?! 

There are a few other possible things coming down the pipeline that I don’t want to jinx, so I’ll just say that if they happen, you’ll surely hear about them here.

It was an otherwise quiet summer. 

Now, when can we expect cooler weather???

No comments: