Sunday, January 27, 2013

Parenting, A Sports Analogy

Originally Posted on March 5th, 2012


So, I’m big on sport’s analogies. I find that basketball and football make for the best ones and I’m almost always able to find a better way to describe something to my band through a good one. 

Some friends of ours at our church had their third child in the fall. We also have three children, so this came up in conversation one day.

“Is having three children all that different from having two?”

My response was, “Well the way I see it, parenting is like playing defense. When you have one child, the parents can double-team the child. When you have two children, you move to a man-to-man defense. And when you have three, you’re outnumbered, so you have to do your best zone defense.”

Then I remembered the scenario in hockey where you can actually have a team member in the penalty box while the rest of your team is down a man. That’s what having three children seems like. Only, who’s in the penalty box? And what did they do?

To my friends with three or more children, here’s to hoping you have a solid bluff and a killer zone defense!

No comments: