Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Upcoming Performances

Tonight is the Randall Percussion Ensemble Concert. I doubt that if you are reading this that you'll be able to attend. You might be reading this well past our March 10th concert date, too!

But if you go, you'll hear (among other pieces) Ku-ka Ilimoku by Christopher Rouse, Stompin' Grounds by Bela Fleck, a transcription of the first movement from Mendelssohn's Fourth Symphony by moi', and Suite for Solo Drumset by David Mancini.

The students have really been working hard; I expect this will be our best concert to date!

Now on to those things that I've written that are getting performed:

Amazing Grace for solo vibraphone is finally getting its premiere! A college student in Kentucky emailed me to find out my birth year so he could put it on his program. He mentioned that he's playing Amazing Grace so I emailed him back to tell him that, to my knowledge, he's the first one to perform it. Somewhere between 15 and 25 copies have been sold since it was first published back in 2006, but this is the only known performance of it. (If you performed it and are reading this, send me an email!).

The story on that one is that I received it as a commission for a student who was preparing a senior recital at Texas Tech University. For some reason unknown to me, the piece was not programmed on his recital. I've speculated that it was too hard for the time frame given to work it up and perform it. I've tried to play it before and I have to tell you, it really gives me a run for my money! At one time I thought I would premiere it, but I just wasn't able to get it worked up in time. What's more likely is that my ability as a solo vibraphonist is slipping, slipping away...

Anyhow, there is another performance expected of Heroes of Old, Men of Renown sometime this May. I won't reveal any details now (don't want to jinx myself...), but when this is confirmed and I have a date and more details, I'll share them here.

Also, starting next week (spring break, baby!), I am going to finish work on a Grade 3 piece for band that I've been sketcing here and there for a couple of years. There are two different sketches that I think should work well together. The first is minimalistic, quick and ryhthmic and the other is slower, contrasting and lyrical. If all goes well, the slower sketch should serve as a good contrasting middle section to the minimalist part. (Who's been listening to Steve Reich and John Adams lately? Hmmm.... I'll give you three guesses....)

The last piece mentioned will be premiered again by the Town & Gown Band under the direction of Dr. Gary Garner. Very exciting!

Last but not least, I wrote a little Grade 1.5 march for our second junior high band to play at UIL contest. I got to hear twelve measures of it yesterday and I think it's going to be a good, little piece for their April 15th contest!

As of now, there is no title, so if you've ever wanted to name a piece of music, here's your chance!

No comments: