Saturday, February 16, 2008

TMEA, Baby #2 nears...

I'm writing this from San Antonio in the great state of Texas! I've been here for the Texas Music Education Association's annual convention, known by it's abbreviation, TMEA.

There is so much to mention, I don't know where to start. A good place might be the high quality of concerts you can attend here. On Thursday, I heard the WTAMU Symphonic Band play and it was tremendous. There's not a very good way to describe how well they did without using words that are overused like 'great,' 'awesome,' 'amazing.' See? That didn't really do it for you, did it? So, I'll put it this way, if I had been on that stage, that might have been the best performance I had ever given. As a listener, it ranks right up there with the two or three other truly memorable concerts I've attended at TMEA. (Two others that stand out in my mind are the University of Houston and Langham Creek HS, both from last year.)

Then, there's my dad's booth that he runs in the exhibit hall to support his double reed making business. I do what I can to help out -- but mainly it gives me a place to stow my stuff and a chance to catch up with my dad. (I'm finding out that people only really ask three questions, and I find out the answers to those up front, so I can field 90% of the questions I'm asked...)

Additionally, there are a bunch of very valuable clinics to attend for me to learn new teaching techniques, etc.

And last, but not least, this week gives me a chance to promote my writing through word of mouth and to meet contacts who might want me to do some freelance arranging for them.

Sorry. No pictures for this blog entry. I even thought to pack my camera, but haven't remembered to take any pictures...

We'll head back to Amarillo tomorrow -- yes, we drove -- and will be back to school on Monday where it's time to prepare for Band Contest, and finish preparations on the Percussion Ensemble Concert.

After that, you'll see blog entries about the new addition to our family debuting on our around March 3rd!

No comments: