Friday, November 10, 2006

PASIC! Part One...


From State Marching Band Contest to PASIC, it's been a busy and very involved week. Of course, SMC was in San Antonio, so on Wednesday (the following day) Mr. Kennell dropped me off in Austin and I spent the day regrouping for PASIC. I got registered at PASIC and did some laundry as well as getting some writing done for school.

Thursday is when things really start. Now, I'm not at PASIC to take pictures, so there aren't many to narrate about, but trust me, there's been LOTS going on!






This is Todd Sucherman. I didn't know who he was from his name, but I definitely have heard his playing. He's played with Spinal Tap, Styx, Eric Marienthal, Peter Cetara, R Kelly, Billy Ocean, David Hasselhoff (!), Tommy Shaw and Jim Brickman as well as many others.

He did some playing and talking and even though he was an AMAZING player, he seemed like an even nicer and down to earth guy. What did I learn from his clinic? That I'm not a very good drum set player...


So, I'm a big dork. Not exactly headline news, but definitely the truth. And while I don't need YOU to remind me of that, things like taking a picture of your sweet hotel room and putting them on your blog do that more than adequately.

Anyhow, did I mention how sweet this room is?


















































Yep, big dork. Just a big dork with a nice hotel room...














I stayed away from the Marching Contest today so I could see some other concerts and spend time in the exhibit hall, but toward the end, I thought I should at least see what was going on. When I got there, they were in the College Standstill competition and the UNT Bass Drum Ensemble was performing. The pictures aren't great.




A blurry, but lighter shot of them playing on a cymbal rack.














Now, this is interesting. There was an attempt to break the Guiness Book of World Records record for largest drum roll. To beat the previous record of 1400+, there would need to be around 1500 drummers. Well, unfortunately there were only about 200 present, so we could not have a fighting chance of breaking the record. But the coordinator had thought of that, so he came up with a contingency plan to break (or set, I'm not sure) the record for longest mass-drumming. So, the group of us played a roll for six minutes and three seconds.


While we didn't break the record we set out to, it was still fun. It was fun to see all of the ages of people it drew in. Also, it was interesting to see all of the different drums people brought.

Here's my plain-jane drum.









And here's a custom-made, carbon-steel shell, rope-tension drum. The guy who had it, said that the top head was calfskin, the bottom goat and that the drum was made in Switzerland.



Now, who's the big dork???



(Man, I know that's mean... but I just couldn't resist.)

No comments: